Monday 6 October 2014

Picture Day

Hey :)

Today was going to be the day that I tried making a YouTube channel (something that is very difficult when you can't really speak to cameras), but I have this awful cold that causes me to constantly snuffle and speak like a concussed frog, so I will leave that for another day. 

Another downside to my cold today was that it was picture day at school - the first picture day we have had since Year 7 - three years ago! Because we don't really change much over the course of secondary school and we only really use the pictures for the register and our library cards, we don't have our pictures taken very often. 
While this saves us the stress of having to look presentable once every year just for our pictures, it is quite unfortunate if the end result of picture day is embarrassing, as you are stuck with your picture for quite a while. Many of my friends have complained over the years about the way their 11-year-old selves look in the pictures, although I am probably one of the only people to have not complained as my picture is not that bad. Although I have a teeny tiny face in my picture, it is one of the only pictures I have of myself that 
1) Still kind of looks like me.
2) Shows my teeth without all the metal that covers them now. 

I would have happily kept that picture until I left school, to be honest. However, as I sat down in form this morning (snuffling), one of my friends launched into a conversation about how nervous she was for picture day (due to the horrific pictures she had ended up with in the past), and I had a mini-heart attack. 
It was picture day!!!
I automatically started to rant about how my hair looked like a mess (it had rained on the way to school and I had my hair down the entire time - oops!). My friend offered to do my hair at break (*breaths sigh of relief*), so I did survive. I don't usually like people who rant about their hair as it doesn't really matter much in my opinion, but my worry was due to the fact that in Year 7 girls with long hair had their hair greased back by the the camera woman (!!!) if they could not keep it out of their faces, and my friend's lovely ginger hair had turned out pretty awful. 

Luckily, in the end, my hair did not have to be greased back, and I think I looked alright (if you don't count the fact that my nose probably made me look like Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer under the lighting). The camera woman told me to look happier after the first take, but I didn't really understand how I could possibly do that without raising my eyebrows so that I looked really stupid or showing my brace face, which would have undoubtedly blinded the camera woman. 

So yeah. That was my experience today. Hopefully I will get better soon so that I can try making my first YouTube videos (not that I can guarantee anything even then) and stop sounding like a concussed frog. 

Best wishes, 
Lucy x

(P.S: No, you are not looking at the wrong blog - I changed the name!)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, that sounds like madness! We get our pictures in year 7, year 9 and year 11, which includes the whole year group picture. Do you do form pictures too? Last year we changed from the stood on a bench set up to the sitting on lab chairs and all stood around, etc. I ended up being the only girl in a group of boys, whereas there were at least two girls in the other groups, so...
    I didn't realise you had braces too. I've had mine 8 months now, and to be perfectly honest with you, I was looking at pictures from New Year's before I got them, and I prefer my smile then. You've just got to hope that your smile will be just as good if not better than before when they're removed, you know.
    Also, I liked the name Open Letters best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we don't get form pictures. The only group picture I have of my form is from when our old form tutor left and everyone wanted a picture to remember him, and I think that was in Year 8!
      Awh, poor you! That must have been frustrating.
      I think I've had mine for 16 months now...? I'm supposed to have them for 18 months, but that will change depending on how my teeth react to the little elastic bands I now have to have in. My teeth have changed massively since then, as they used to point inwards (my mother recently described them as "shark teeth", but she was just messing around!).
      Also, thanks, haha :)

      Delete
  2. I don't think I could stand having the same picture for three years. I look horrible in all of my pictures anyway, but the same horrible picture for three years? Not acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's pretty weird to have a picture for that long. Most people turned their pictures over in their library cards so that no one could see them, haha :P
      Same, I'm not very photogenic either. I don't like pictures of myself that someone else took!

      Delete