Monday 25 August 2014

Baby Lips and Back-To-School Experiences

Today is another rainy day in England, which is hardly surprising. It is weird to think that summer has come and gone so fast. I'm not complaining though - I love Autumn (or Fall, as they call it in America). I've never really liked the term "Fall", I just think it's such an unoriginal and unimaginative name. What's wrong with just calling it Autumn? Actually, I've always wanted to know why Autumn is called Autumn. Does anyone know why? If they do, please tell me!

Anyway, today is a nothing kind of day, which is okay, because I don't really have anything planned for the remainder of the holidays (there's less than 2 weeks left now!!?). I've been thinking about doing a back to school/September kind of haul/favourites thingy, but I'm not really sure where I would even begin, seeing as I am not really set with all my school supplies yet. Last year's pencil case - which was covered in stickers with cute cartoons on - has basically fallen apart and I need to go shopping for a new one. 

I'm not really big on the idea of posting make-up tutorials on my blog as I am not great at make-up. Everyone seems to be posting back-to-school tutorials on what to wear and how to do make-up, but to be honest, I have a school uniform to wear and I'm not exactly a professional when it comes to applying make-up when I all I want to do is sleep until midday (I know, it's a bad habit). 
One thing I have been loving recently though is Baby Lips by Maybelline.


Photo
Left to right: Pink Punch and Cherry Me

They are great at keeping your lips hydrated as well as giving them a subtle splash of colour that I think is perfect for Autumn. They also smell REALLY nice! Cherry Me is my favourite. They are also quite cheap, which suits me, as I can't be bothered to spend too much on make-up. 
The colours are fun and playful, but not too bold at the same time. Maybelline have actually released a new load of colours for these, though I have not bought any of the new ones yet. I really want to try out this purple one called Grape Vine, though the ones I bought were "buy one, get the next one half price", so I stuck with these. I also own one of these in Quenched

Can I also just add that I don't really see the point of getting dressed up really fancy just for school. It all seems a bit pointless really (maybe this is just because I wear school uniform, I don't know). I kind of understand that it might be fun to look your best for the first day of school, but could you really be bothered to keep that up for the rest of the year? I know I couldn't! 

I wish everyone the best in the new school year. I am currently starting Year 10 (Grade 9 in America), making me one step closer to GCSEs - it seems as if they are just round the corner now, which is both horrifying and kind of weirdly exciting!
Either way, I think Year 10 will be good for me as I will now take classes with people I have never been in with before, including some friends from the other half of the year. 
(I will also be reintroduced to people I went to primary school with, which is extremely odd to think about.) 
I also see the whole experience as rather daunting, as I am REALLY BAD when it comes to meeting and speaking to new people. I am probably the most socially-inept and shy person I know. I am taking drama as a GCSE and practically none of my friends are doing the same. Acting makes me feel like a more confident person, and usually has this effect on me, though somehow I am still slightly shaken. 
Oh well - everyone is in the same position as I am anyway. There's bound to be people who feel the same as I do. 

What are people looking forward to in the new school year? What is your favourite thing about Autumn? Tell me down in the comments :) 
I am personally looking forward to seeing my friends again :D 

Best wishes,
Lucy x

11 comments:

  1. I love babylips! So am I,starting GCSE's too! I'm abit scared but everyone has advised me to start revising from the beginning so I'll do that! Good Luck with school and can you do a back to school haul or maybe some revision tips post? xo

    Rebecca,
    www.rebeccamariaphotographyy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to revise from the beginning, but I will probably have some scripts to learn or something :-/
      I like the sound of a back to school haul :) I'll probably do one of those soon. I'm not very good with revision, but I will think about it.

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. I just realised we're the same age, I'm starting year 10 too. What have you picked for your GCSEs? We chose ours in year 8, so I've done IT, Geography, History and Spanish as well as all the core subjects for the past year.
    My favourite thing about Autumn is my birthday (September 19th)!
    Just kidding, I kind of love getting back into the swing of a routine, learning new stuff, being presented with challenges. Takes my mind off the drab and dreary weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My GCSEs are Drama, French, History and Media Studies. There's a small chance that I won't get into Media Studies though because a lot of people chose it. I'm not really a fan or IT or geography. It's a surprise I even know how to manage my blog with my non-existent IT skills! I have never taken Spanish, but one of my best friends has chosen it. I stuck with French as I have been learning it since Year 4.
      That is a great reason to love Autumn, haha! You are older than me - my birthday is in February.
      I enjoy routine too (not including the part where I have to get up early in the morning), and am interested to get into topics we have not had a chance to learn in previous years.
      I know what you mean - where did the sun go?! :P

      Delete
    2. At my school, there are a couple of separate media classes, so yours might be the same. Honestly, our teacher for history was rap-with-a-c-in-front (as my former pastoral tutor called it) and I was getting good grades in geography, so I've preferred geography. We get a different history teacher this year, so hopefully they'll be better! IT's alright, I hit a roadblock halfway through the year with software crashing all the time, so that's when I started to ditch the IT fan club, but I picked myself up, and hopefully it'll be a good qualification! I could never wrap my head around French when we studied it in primary, so when I started studying Spanish, it was a blessing!
      Yes it is!!! The getting up early part is a drag, but it's gotta be done! I think the sun has an on-off relationship with England. She's just about to break up with us again!

      Delete
    3. No, I think in our school we only have one media class! :( I have no idea what teachers I'm getting in my lessons! Yeah, IT sounds like a really useful qualification. I might have considered it if I didn't have other subjects on my mind. I've heard some people saying that French is one of the hardest languages to learn, but I haven't taken any other languages but German, so I wouldn't know! People also seem to have this thing with English, saying it is a REALLY hard language to learn. I'm not sure I understand that either (seeing as I have spoken it all my life!). I am alright with actually getting up in the morning, it is the part where I have to try not to act like a zombie for the rest of the day that I struggle with. I wish the sun would just get over it and stop being so moody. Everything seems quite gloomy now it's started raining again.

      Delete
    4. We have an idea, due to some teachers keeping the same class for the duration of their GCSEs. Useful, yes - boring, definitely. I had loads of subjects in mind (literally, about five!) German's even worse than French to me! English is just complicated! We have three different 'there's which, accent depending, can all sound the same, as well as oxen being the plural of ox, but the plural of fox is foxes, etc, etc.
      I had alright weather today. It's just seriously windy!

      Delete
    5. Yeah, I never really saw the point in taking German when I already knew I wanted to take French instead. I knooow English is frustrating, but I've always seemed to be okay with the rules and stuff so I never complain.
      Our weather is just beginning to worry people because the sun will be out slightly out but there will be really dark rain clouds EVERYWHERE, so everyone is stressed in case one day we go out for a walk and then it suddenly buckets down! That happened yesterday when we weren't expecting it and I was just thinking "Oh, great. Thank you British weather"!

      Delete
  3. Hi! I just ran across this site while surfing the web. I live in America and it's surprising to see how similar England and America really are. Most girls here love Baby Lips too, though must of us are more crazy about Eos chapsticks. Do you have those "across the pond"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :) I don't think we have Eos chapsticks actually! I have a friend who really wants one but she can't buy them. They sound really cool though and I wish we had them where we live!

      Delete
  4. Love baby lips!! :)

    Layla xx

    www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete