Tuesday 30 September 2014

The meaning of feminism and #HeForShe

I've been meaning to write a post like this ever since the media's spotlight turned to Emma Watson's HeForShe speech that I absolutely LOVED. Here is the link if you have not already seen it before:



It has occurred to me recently as feminism has become a popular subject that not many people know what it actually means. 
For instance, something I am very glad about is the fact that more people now recognise that feminism is not "man hating". In fact, "man hating" is classed as sexism, which is the complete opposite of what feminists want. I suppose the stereotype that feminists hate men came around from the time in which women had to fight people high up in the government for their rights, with everyone high up in the government being men (as women were not allowed to choose careers for themselves). 

Feminist: a person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes.
(men can be feminists too!!) 

So I am just glad that that has been cleared up. Something that has been bothering me though is the fact that many people do not consider themselves feminists as they do not realise the importance of feminism. I have seen people sharing their views on the internet who do not understand the full effects of their words against feminism, and, just today, I had an argument with someone close to me who did not consider herself a feminist because of "some of its areas"......???

One of the petty arguments I have heard today (and have heard in the past) is that feminism is wrong because it stops beauty pageants. Just..... no
First of all, I would just like to point out that I do not personally agree with beauty pageants and I am a feminist. However, being a feminist does not automatically make you hate beauty pageants. I'm sure many people who have participated in beauty pageants were feminists themselves and had their own views on the matter. My view on beauty pageants is that they are stupid because they just seem to search for the "perfect human", and I think that is silly and superficial. Also, beauty pageants pretend that they are looking for the whole package, whereas they just want to get you in a bikini(?). But that is a different story (possibly for another day??).
What was the message I was trying to put across? Oh yeah... not all feminists are the same, so there's no use in judging all of us based on some outdated stereotypes dragged up by certain sections of the media.

I thing that I would also like to add before I end my blog post is that many people who not consider themselves feminists are actually taking a feminist stance without realising it.

"Becoming friends with Lena – without her preaching to me, but just seeing why she believes what she believes, why she says what she says, why she stands for what she stands for – has made me realize that I’ve been taking a feminist stance without actually saying so” ~Taylor Swift  
(also supporting Emma Watson in her campaign!)

So for those of you who have maybe never thought of yourselves as feminists, stop to think about your social, political and economic views. It does not make you a "man hater" or whatever bad thing you have been told in the past. It simply means that you want to be seen as equal to opposite gender. 

Speak to you later, 
Lucy x


"Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive.
Both men and women should feel free to be strong."
~Emma Watson


( one of my favourite quotes in the entire speech! <3 )

5 comments:

  1. ...I'm gonna comment the same thing I literally just posted on a youtube vid: "Seriously... the only thing stopping women being as "successful" as men is their own self doubt. Example, and this one is a fact; There are more male doctors than female. Women then see this as a disadvantage, and say it's not fair that there are more males in the medical profession than female, when the truth is way more men actually take health science than women... it not cause there's un-equal rights, its cause they doubt themselves in the first years of their uni lives! There no need in equal-rights movements, women already have it, most are just blinded by their doubt. There just needs to be anti-doubt movements, movements to show women they can actually do it, "hey gal, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from being the top in your profession, just your own self." It's that simple."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know much on how women feel in the first years of their uni lives, but that sounds bad. Also, in some cultures women are encouraged not to choose career paths such as health and stuff.
      Also YES THANK YOU I AGREE.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, good point. The thing I find funny is the people who formed the facts, didn't take stats on jobs like Vet-school, in which it's like 5 women to 1 guy, while Med-school it's only like 45% female, 55% male, pretty much a 1:1 ratio. Even funnier fact is in the next 6 years based on stats, it will in be the other way around! So, #HeforShe? Meh, more like #SheNeedstoBelieve.... and #HeBetterWatchout ;P

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, Lucy. People need to be educated on the differences in feminism and sexism. I, myself, thought feminism meant "man hating". I hope that in the future people will see what these terms mean.

    ReplyDelete