Monday 20 July 2015

Run Away - A Poem


There are some days when I want to run away. 
Not like they do in movies,
where the rebellious teenager leaves home
to prove a point to their overbearing parents,

But simply to escape life,
to a world without people,
where there is no one to keep track of time
or tell me right from wrong. 

A world where I can take off,
leaving all my worries back down on the ground,
soaring higher and higher until they become
tiny specks in the distance. 
Far beneath me at last. 

I think these thoughts on days when
classrooms are cages and
friendships are flimsy branches
that tremble beneath my toes.

On these days, I would want nothing more
but to feel the wind beneath the wings
that beat in time to my racing heartbeat. 

But even golden moments don't last forever,
and I know that it would be only a matter of time
before gravity caught up with me,
sending me hurting back down to Earth,
the branches of the trees scraping me
as I descend through the canopy,
the land finally crushing my wings.

Which is why I know I need to stay in the nest. 


After the very positive response I received on my last poem video, I thought it might be cool to share another one. Please feel free to tell me what you think in the comments and click "like" on the video if you enjoy it :) Hopefully, I'll be uploading another video fairly soon, too. 

Speak to you soon,
Lucy x

No comments:

Post a Comment